Sunday, July 30, 2006

last day

...or rather, Night on this job. Have to get on my bike in a minute (no trains on Sunday evenings - only 1 an hour, and at exactly the wrong time). It's been a horrible time but at the same time it's been good. (insofar as a junior doctor's job can ever be described as Good - one often learns in spite of one's experiences rather than because of them) I know so much more than I did six months ago that yet again, I wonder how I could have thought I knew anything about medicine before.
Also I am fed up with people telling me I look too young to be a doctor, particularly when I have their maternity notes in front of me, and I know for a fact that they are about 5 years younger than I am! I think medical dramas give people the impression that a doctor should look a certain way - female doctors that one can take seriously are either matronly or manly in stature - if you look any different you are fighting a battle for respect for your medical opinion before you've even said hello.

0 comments: