Tuesday, August 08, 2006

'Humani nihil a me alienum puto'

(the motto of The Royal London Hospital. roughly translates as 'nothing human is alien to me' or to remove the double negative - all human troubles are my concern)

09:30
As I lock my bike to what looks like a secure railing outside the health centre, an elderly black man pops his head out of a window 2 floors up. "I wouldn't park there," he says, kindly, "last week someone cut my bike from that fence." I thank him for his advice. But 5 minutes later, I am back in the carpark as the receptionists won't let me keep my bike inside. I lock it right opposite the main entrance in a parking space marked "doctors only". Well, it doesn't say cars only! The road leading to the health centre seems to feature a different "serious assault - can you help?" (or "murder - can you help?") sign every time I cycle past. Minutes later, I am in the thick of Enuresis clinic (i.e. bedwetting 8-year olds); babies are thrust at me while mothers help the 'problem' child undress. Each child needs a full history and examination, urine test (plus sample to the microbioogy lab), and then lots of explanation - mothers are advised not to get cross, and star charts are given out. I've seen this all before as a medical student in Edinburgh, but in Hackney it is not quite the same. A family history reveals that father was tortured in his home country; it transpires that the child sleeps in the parents' bed, along with its younger brother. Mother speaks only Polish, or Albanian. The interpreter is a jumpy young man, who repeats all Dr. D's calm assurances at twice the speed and treble the volume.

11:00
On my bike to cycle to the Child Development Centre (CDC) to observe a Child Protection medical. Most of the referrals are for alleged physical abuse. Even though I have technically lived in Hackney now for 9 months, before this job I had never actually seen any of these clinics - they are all tucked away in the hearts of the many council estates. The CDC (which I expected to be a good-sized multistorey building as all children in the borough with disability are known to the services based there) turned out to be a small brown-brick shack (ok so it has 3 floors, but it is so small that one of the toilets had to be converted to make a treatment room) with an overgrown, locked garden that serves as an open-air storage area for disused furniture, toys, and the doctors' bicycles. I can't really write about the Medical here as it is confidential, but suffice to say it was pretty harrowing.

13:30
Back to 'base camp' for Child Health Clinic. I think I gave about 6 BCG shots (after explanation and examination). All the babies blurred into one after a while. The babies were all happy, bouncy little things, but the moms had various problems ranging from HIV to housing benefits. Some had already fallen out with and separated from their (6 week old) babies' fathers.

17:00
Home time. Community paediatricians certainly work short days, but they are tiring in their own way.

1 comments:

mywchan said...

It is wise to park your bike in the doctors' car park. It is a lot safer and you work in the hospital as a doctor after all.