[a quick btw: New Years Day on call included a 3 and a half hour long appendicectomy where we stood, fully scrubbed and gowned, over the open wound for about 40 minutes while the consultant drove in from home. He eventually left the matted, pus-spangled tip inside the abdomen. Back in the world of Community Paeds today, there is nothing going on (baby check, baby check, baby check) as usual, hence this blog entry.]
In a fit of paranoia (admittedly tinged with narcissism), I've copied and pasted all the text of my old blog safely(?) into a Word file to print out and burn onto CD. Actually I nearly died of boredom reading it, apart from the entries I wrote while on my elective in Canada.
...in fact, according to uncle 9, where there were once forests in Scarborough, there are now Tim Hortons.
- Uncle 9 commenting on the ubiquity of the Canadian donut chain, Toronto, Feb 04
"We never lock the door," she said, "we lost the key about a year ago, probably because we never used it."
- community nurse in St. Anthony, Newfoundland, Feb 04
"I'm cleaning your neck with this alcohol wipe, not because it's dirty, but because we like you to leave hospital smelling of hospital"
- Endocrinology consultant, Edinburgh, Apr 04
"Thank you. I'm glad you did,"
-Sir Simon Rattle, responding to my inane comment that I'd enjoyed his concert with the Berlin Philharmonic. On a BA flight from Berlin, Nov 03 (the only time I've ever asked for anyone's autograph)
"having delivered 3 babies, examined a dead woman, done chest compressions, sat with suicidal patients and so on, one would have thought that it would put my own problems in perspective. i guess (depending on how you look at it) its either a horribly selfish streak or a vital self-preserving streak that keeps alive the belief which i can only express as "the worst possible problem is the one i've got". "
-me, in Nov 03. Some things never change.
Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Best of
Posted by cirrus29 at 4:37 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment