“Call for you,” said the switchboard operator, in her usual drone. “Hi, this is Mrs. Berkenstein*,” a shrill voice with a decidedly Germanic accent crackled down the line. “I’m *Nathaniel’s mother. Is this *Sally?” “No, it’s Sam, I said,” rather taken aback at being bleeped before 9 in the morning on my first day as Paediatric Neurology SHO by a patient’s mother. Nathaniel is a 6 month-old boy with infantile spasms. His mother had phoned for a repeat prescription – steroids, ranitidine and pyridoxine. She said Sally (the previous person who was in my job) used to fax the prescription to her local pharmacist.
Quite apart from all I was learning about seizure disorders, it was interesting to meet these mothers in person. Both were petite Orthodox Jewish ladies, dressed in the usual garb of loose, dark-coloured long-sleeved blouse and black below-knee skirt, dark tights, chunky black loafers and a hat or headscarf worn at all times. Beneath all that, they looked impossibly young (I’d estimate early twenties, certainly significantly younger than myself) and vulnerable. Speaking face to face with them was absolutely fine – they were both gracious and articulate, and though understandably concerned about their sons, were by no means overly anxious or unreasonable. Perhaps the scary telephone persona was a kind of “take me seriously or else” act.
0 comments:
Post a Comment