Friday, June 06, 2008

Middlesbrough

Am writing this from a hotel (motel?) room in Middlesbrough where I am at a Neonatal Conference. (I love my 3G modem!) I have to say, it's not been particularly inspiring so far. I was hoping that it would make Neonatology make more sense at least. My impression beforehand was that despite the surfactant trials being poster child for the Cochrane collaboration, Neonatal medicine was largely witchcraft. Unfortunately, my suspicions have been confirmed. Take phenobarbitone as an antiepileptic in neonates, for example. Phenobarbitone is an old drug (brought to market in 1912). And even when given with a second anticonvulsant, it only stops about 60% of babies fitting, and is not without side effects. Yet it is the best thing neonatologists have for treating convulsions in newborns! What on earth have all the researchers been doing?! The other thing that got my back up was the talk on Science and the abortion debate. Now I signed a petition and wrote to my MP, as a member of the general public, in order to try and influence the parliamentary vote on this issue. The talk was given by a Professor who had been on the advisory panel for the MPs debating the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill. Yet he didn't seem to have a personal opinion on the issue at all; he seemed determined to remain neutral. I think such responsibility is wasted on people who don't have a clear system of personal ethics. A Neonatologist should be duty bound to be an advocate for his patients (or potential patients). I would have been less angry had he picked a side; pro-life or pro-choice, I don't care, it was his neutrality that was irresponsible.
Among all the (apparently) big names in neonatology at the conference, I can't help but feel like a teenager indignant at all the 'grown-ups' for messing up. It seems they have got neither the science nor the ethics sorted out.

0 comments: