Thursday, November 20, 2008

Are extroverts better doctors?

I seem to get a lot of comments that I 'lack confidence', even when I've just been doing something I'm extremely confident about (e.g. making a presentation on a topic that I've researched thoroughly, and fielding all the questions quite easily). Perhaps it's a cultural thing, or, more likely, a personality thing - I don't speak loudly ever (noisy people really get on my nerves), and too much eye contact makes me feel really uncomfortable. I don't do physical contact (e.g. arm over the shoulders to comfort bereaved) with strangers, either. I don't like resuscitation situations, because you have to shout to be heard, and I can come across as uncertain if there is even the faintest doubt (e.g. about a patient's prognosis).

But does being a quiet, introspective person make me a bad doctor? In the patient's position, I'd much rather have a quiet doctor who considers things carefully than a brash charlatan. I'm also more of a writer than a speaker. What I'd really like to be, eventually, is a medical journal editor. But it seems that in order to get there, I have to temporarily (for the next 5 years or so) become some extroverted, over-confident person that I am not.

0 comments: