Day 2 of Ramadan. *Ahmed, the other SHO on my firm, is feeling the effects of hypoglycaemia. "Aahh!" he groans, "you know, I have this bad headache. I think I need to leave early." I am just about to offer some paracetamol when I remember that he is, as they say, nil by mouth.
I saw three patients in clinic today - still frustrated by my own inefficiency. Everyone else saw between 6 and 10. Although I guess I have the added challenge of fobbing off the dumb bleeps from nurses on the ward (and taking any calls from A&E) so that the registrars can get on with actually running the clinic. I like clinic because it is a team effort. There is a long list of patients (usually 30 to 40) to be seen, in theory, by one consultant and one registrar between 09:00 and 13:00. These are all children with chronic haematological disease (mostly sickle cell anaemia - we have the largest clinic in London), and its attendant effects on growth, development, education, home etc. so there is a lot to discuss with each family. Some patients need vaccinations or blood tests, or letters to the Council regarding housing or Disability Living Allowance, and each patient's GP needs a letter detailing the encounter. In short, it is a lot of work, and we all pitch in. Apart from the new patients (mostly babies diagnosed on newborn screening or new arrivals from Africa or the Indian subcontinent), who Dr. *F sees and enters into his amazing database (more about this another time), it is a free-for-all. Between the 5 of us (supported by 2 specialist nurses, community nurse, educational psychologist, dietitian and a bevy of translators) we somehow give each patient the time required to unpack and address their concerns as well as assuaging ours.
I saw *Kevin, a 5 year-old with sickle cell anaemia who had been in hospital a month ago. He'd come in with pain in his chest, which spread to his abdomen. His urine turned dark red, while he went that ghastly shade that black children go when they are anaemic and jaundiced. We gave him several units of blood, but his blood counts dropped further- the cells were being broken up as soon as they went in. His spleen was enlarged and tender. Eventually he had to have it removed. He's recovered well. Today his mom seemed more worried about the school he'd missed.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005
clinic again
Posted by cirrus29 at 9:36 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment