Saturday, February 04, 2006

A manual of neonatal intensive care

...my latest purchase. I've heard scary things about Neonatal Nurses - apparently they try to show you who's boss in the first few weeks by bullying you, especially if you are female. I am hoping that by arming myself with some prior knowledge, this period of brutal initiation will be minimal. I have also got a book on Neurolinguistic Programming for good measure. It is with a large measure of trepidation that I look forward to my new job next week.

With the end of another 6 month post, it is time to update the old CV. And another reminder that my life has been completely taken over by Work. I used to do interesting things like edit the med school's magazine and develop pictures in the darkroom. Even academically, my only publication in a journal so far was as a medical student. The audit project I designed in August has all but stalled because I can't seem to get away from the wards for long enough to work on it and medical records won't let me in after hours. I am trying to write a protocol for the management of coma in children, but have only just managed to read a couple of reviews. I suppose I did invest a lot of time in the Exam (which I shall be absolutely devastated about if I fail). But still... And I haven't really settled in London after 6 months. I have moved house twice, have not really met anyone outside of work, have been sporadically to 8 different churches (none of which is quite right), and still HATE east london with a vengeance. Though I did walk past a newsagent's selling the Hackney Gazette, and fantasised for a few minutes about writing to the editor to ask if they needed a resident doctor. I'd love to have my own column, like Dr. Thomas Stuttaford. I imagine they'd want a qualified GP though, not someone 18 months out of medical school.

0 comments: