Wednesday, September 13, 2006

didn't I say that already?

After an art-filled weekend (I highly recommend both this and this)I returned to work on monday to find a large wooden model of an erect penis in the middle of my clinic room table. It took a minute for me to realise this must have been left by the Family Planning people, and was in fact not incongruous with its surroundings at all. I shoved it into one of the drawers and hastily set up my clinic stuff - opthalmoscope, measuring tape, toys, a baby book, and the BCG vaccination kit. Halfway through the clinic, I found myself saying to one of the moms "and so I've explained to you about the BCG injection..." and she stopped me and said "no, you haven't." And she was right. I'd repeated myself so many times in one morning that I believed I had. Child Health Clinic is incredibly boring. It is so repetitive I think I might die of repetition.
I think it was Tolstoy who said "all happy families resemble one another; but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." In the same way, well children are all the same (or, at least, require the same treatment) but ill children are each ill in their own way. Which (by a rather skewed inversion of this observation) makes well children rather boring to deal with. Which is why I've had no patients worth blogging about lately. I know the value of child health surveillance etc but it's becoming increasingly hard to get out of bed in the mornings - to go and see lots of well kids and repeat myself a hundred times. But I suppose it could be worse - I don't envy the person whose wooden penis model that was.

0 comments: