Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A new book

Day off pre-nights today; typing this on my laptop in the public library as there's no 3G reception in my flat, and I'm trying to download ubuntu.
Had a slightly better day yeterday than the day before - by that I mean I did something slightly more than failing to put in a venous line and an arterial line. In fact, the main useful thing I did was muster all my confedence to sit tight on a very slightly hypotensive patient, whose blood pressure resolved itself. And I know what lusitropy is now, too.
Got a new book from Foyles - Handbook of Paediatric Intensive Care (by Gale Pearson) which I wish I'd found a few weeks ago. I like the way it's written - the author doesn't shy away from decriptive language, such as "rampant catabolism" or from stating simple facts that need emphasis, like "this is a human blood product" (in reference to albumin). All this in amongst the usual textbook language - "systolic dysfunction requires inotropes, with or without vasodilators, whereas diastolic dysfunction can deteriorate with inotropes and may respond better to volume replacement". So the aim is to eventually read it from cover to cover, starting with the chapter on post-operative cardiac surgery patients.

0 comments: