Thursday, August 27, 2009

Stories that can't be told

Typing this from a cafe... (the mobile broadband reception in my flat is almost non-existent)
Went in just for teaching today and it was a transport team review. It's quite fascinating and a good insight into the decisions that need to be made when a request for retrieval is received. The statistics were followed by a simulated telephone referral.
They've been in some quite hairy situations, but then I suppose they're the ones who get called when everyone else is in a pickle. Am finding it quite hard to blog about individual patients, as there are only so many retrieval teams, paediatric ICUs and paediatric cardiac transplant centres across the country, so it's almost impossible to hide the patient's identity whilst describing the clinical situation. Well, too bad, readers! I think you have to actually work in a PICU to get any idea what goes on. Everything dramatised on television is dull by comparison. Ask me out for a coffee if you really want to know. Perhaps by the end of these 6 months I'll have first hand stories to tell too. Or maybe I'll just have to write a work of fiction...

0 comments: