Friday, January 06, 2006

freak show

What a long 2 days. My mind wanders back to the Diane Arbus exhibition I saw with M at the V&A a few days after Christmas. Her pictures have a (perhaps not unintentional) freak show quality about them. Countless photographers have been fascinated with the idea of finding beauty in the unlovely, but this is the concept taken to an uncomfortable extreme. She went in search of freaks, and, predictably enough, got what she was looking for. Sideshows, nudist camps, and finally, a home containing (by her pictures) mostly middle-aged women with Down's syndrome. At one point, the exhibition blurb reads:

In her photographs, the self-conscious encounter between photographer and subject becomes a central drama of the picture.
That is her problem: self-consciousness. This stands out in particular contrast to the photographs I saw in Edinburgh not long ago at a brilliant exhibition of the works of Henri Cartier-Bresson (same exhibition is currently showing in Amsterdam). Cartier-Bresson's pictures convey a certain love for life. Indeed, he lived to be 95, while Arbus commited suicide aged 41. Now, it may seem I am being unkind to Arbus, but the truth is, her story and the vibes one gets from her pictures remind me alarmingly of myself. My fascination with medicine (and paediatrics in particular) is, at its core, a fascination with the myriad weird and wonderful (not so wonderful if you are the patient of course) things that can go wrong with the human body. Although I am a doctor, I still feel a bit of a voyeur on the wards, and I am sure my self-consciousness (that huge, floundering thing at my shoelaces) shows through my thin doctorly facade. And it is entirely inappropriate, a hundred times more so than it was for Arbus to be wandering around institutes for the mentally infirm with her Rolleiflex.

1 comments:

cirrus29 said...

MK (my flatmate) has been to see the exhibition today and agrees with me that it is depressing. He points out though that at least I am trying to make my freaks better.