Sunday, January 01, 2006

Nights misery

The fireworks over Canary Wharf were just visible from the 4th floor of the hospital. The nurses were probably watching it on TV on the ward somewhere, but I prefer to see the real thing, even if through a dirty window in a dark room on my own. It's my second new year in a row where I've had to work overnight. It just turns the whole thing into a non-event, making it feel like I'm stuck in the old year and that yet again, life is passing me by. It wasn't even a busy night on call, so I was deprived even of a sense of purpose, of having to be there for a reason. Had been on nights since before Christmas, had the intervening week off (lonely Christmas 'celebration' with siblings, jet-lagged from being on nights, trying in vain to study for my exam) and then on nights again for new year. My entire cristmas/new year ruined yet again by constant sleepiness and having to miss out on all the best bits, yet feeling under pressure to be 'merry'. I would be, if I could just for once spend the turn of the year with people who care about me.

3 comments:

RealLifeReading said...

oh dear, that sucks!

but best wishes for 2006!

mywchan said...

It has been hard on you. But keep up with your fighting spirit.

cirrus29 said...

thanks! its not that bad really, i just whinge a lot! (;