

My bike is a bit of a joke at the best of times. With only 3 speeds (slow, very slow, and a middle speed which doesnt actually change the gear) and a metal frame and that clatters at the tiniest bump in road, it's not the meanest machine. So when I came off a curb (at the edge of London Fields) with a loud bang (at 9pm on thursday, after an evening on call), I thought nothing of it and cycled on. It seemed a particularly gruelling ride, and the hypochondriac in me started to wonder if I should perhaps register with a GP afterall, if only to get an FBC, thyroid function tests, and maybe an LDH and a Mantoux as well. Imagine my relief(!) to discover, panting from carrying the green beast up a flight of stairs, that the back tyre was almost entirely flat. I'd been amazed to that point that I'd not had a puncture before, given the number of broken bottles I've cycled over since acquiring the bike (the road to bethnal green seems perpetually lined with broken beer bottles and it's often a choice between going over the broken glass and getting run over by an oncoming bus).
So I had the cheerful task today of figuring out how to change a rear bicycle tyre - the guy at the bike shop had regarded me suspiciously when I had asked for a 26x1 3/8 inner tube and "those plastic things you pry the tyre off with" (I still don't know what they're called) and when I didn't know what kind of valves I had. "Bring the bike in if you can't manage," he'd said. It was oddly satisfying to prove I could do it without help, and having cleaned the chain as well, the bike's as good as (probably better than!) new. It did take me more than an hour though.
Sunday, November 05, 2006
can she fix it?
Posted by cirrus29 at 9:36 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
It was indeed quite a big job, sure you got it done 'professionally' ?
Post a Comment