would you believe, I've had another puncture. I was just about to get on my bike this afternoon when I noticed the rear wheel (my freshly installed new inner tube!) was completely flat AND had a large, shiny nail sticking out of it. One more time and I'll be a qualified bike mechanic.
Bit of an eventful day today. Called the estate agent first thing in the morning to make an offer on a flat I saw for the second time yesterday evening. Then walked to a nearby primary school for my first ever clinic as School Doctor.
It was more complex than I imagined. The 3 patients were all boys of 5 or 6 years old, and accompanied by their moms.
KM age 6
referred for follow-up by previous school doctor, having been discharged from the Child Development centre in 2005. referred (separately) by the school Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) due to
1. short attention span and disruptive in class
2. unable to read, write, draw, count or name colours or shapes
At the end of the session, the SENCO and I both wondered if he might have ADHD.
BI age 5
referred by class teacher for
1. "pees and poohs his pants"
2. developmental delay
He was a small, slightly odd looking child, who it turned out, had as few words in Turkish as he did in English.
HF age 6
referred by class teacher for
1. disruptive behaviour in class
2. "speech problems"
"but he is capable and shows ability"
He was a bright boy with a lisp who had arrived from Nigeria not long ago.
Each of these took about an hour. While I was speaking to the SENCO afterwards, my phone rang - it was the estate agent. The sellers would take the flat off the market for 2500 pounds more than I had offered. I felt a bit swamped at that point, so said I would call him back.
15:00 Child protection medical
This was the point I discovered my bike tyre was flat. So I set out on foot, fingering my phone with indecision. How many flats is one supposed to see before one commits? What if a better one doesn't come along? What if I buy, and then one does?
I had to examine 2 siblings who had witnessed domestic violence involving a knife and the severing of fingers. They were already on the child protection register. It was the first time I had to do a medical by myself.
I'd already had a really hard day (as in, with high emotional involvment, which is the aspect of medicine I find most draining and difficult) and the worst was to come. I was late, because I had allowed ample time to cycle to the clinic, but not to walk. I needed to make a decision on this flat. I wish I could have deferred it to a day when I was doing boring things, like baby clinic. I called a few people for advice, but their phones were all on answer phone. For a moment, I felt bizarrely alone in the world. I rang the agent back and agreed to buy the flat.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
oh no
Posted by cirrus29 at 10:51 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment