I reckon there's enough to learn about housebuying to make a GCSE. They should knock useless subjects like Home Economics (I still ended up poisoning myself every week when I first went to uni) and Design and Technology off the curriculum in favour of something like Practical Money Management, including a Housebuying module. I mean, its just the sort of dead boring yet essential subject you shouldn't have to spend your free time educating yourself on.
So I'm pulling out of buying this flat as have discovered in retrospect that I can't actually afford it. I simply (embarrassingly) made a mistake in the maths. Not looking forward to facing a half dozen irate people (solicitors, mortgage brokers, estate agents) tomorrow (well, at least it'll be over the phone), but it wasn't my fault!! I was forced to teach myself off the internet in the space of a few months about the process of housebuying, and it's only in the last week that I've grasped the finer points and it's all started to make (admittedly partial) sense. Everyone you turn to for advice has a different thing to say, and most of these people are only interested in extracting money from you. To make things worse, completely irrational things happen in the housing market - for example, if you search Guardian Money for articles on house prices, you can find nearly identical articles on an impending price crash dating from 2002, 2004 and early 2006. Of course, all of them were wrong.
The other thing that's all backwards is that this is turning out to be completely different from how I imagined it would be. I am (mostly) happy as a doctor because it's what I'd wanted to do from the age of 11, so in that respect at least, life has turned out as I imagined - sometimes even better (more interesting and rewarding) than imagined. But (like many girls, I'm sure) I'd also imagined I would be married and starting a family by the time I'd hit the age I am now. And I imagined I would be buying a house together with someone, and it would be a happy thing, not something quite as fraught and lonely as it is turning out to be. I tapped two incomes equal to my own into an online mortgage calculator just for fun, and the amount you'd get would comfortably buy my dream home - even here in London.
I don't think of myself as someone who pines for comfort and material things, but I have (unpleasantly) surprised myself with the kinds of living conditions I am not willing to put up with (no ex-council flats, no high-rises, no low ceilings, clean tree-lined streets, near a tube etc). I guess I have turned out to have more exacting standards than I thought - but for now I can't afford them.
Sunday, November 12, 2006
in reverse order
Posted by cirrus29 at 7:09 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment